What do I like best about it?
- Silence - the lake is usually so still that you can hear the mountains breathing (come and listen sometime)
- Atmosphere - colours are muted.. today the lake is like silver glass with soft grey and white mist draping the mountains.
- Smell - after rain the beech forest as a delicious earthy aroma that you won't find anywhere else.
- Texture - because colours are soft you become more aware of texture.Leaves are glossy, sometimes rimmed with sparkling frost. Gravel can freeze into lumps (have you ever tried walking on a frozen beach?).
- Colour - if it snows the world becomes black and white and grey. When the sun comes out again the mountains look dazzling.
- The summer process of gathering and chopping firewood rewards us each time we bring in a load for our big woodburner, which often has the soup pot bubbling away on the top :)
- Neighbours have time to call in for a cuppa and catch up (until the ski season starts and the visitors arrive!)
- So It's a time to hunker down, read books in the evening , order seeds for the spring and look forward to next summer. And paint.....